Mining and Oil & Gas
The firm has represented the interests of multi-national mining corporations, oil and gas exploration and production companies, government entities, real estate developers, and individual mineral and surface owners.
BHGR has developed extensive hands-on experience in the mining industry, domestically and internationally. Our attorneys have been actively involved in issues and transactions through all stages of exploration, development and production, and divestiture. Our experience includes advising clients on General Mining Law of 1872 issues, land acquisition, due diligence investigations and analysis, long-term supply contracting, sales and marketing contracting, financing, water supply and water rights, leasing, environmental compliance, surety and bonding, reclamation, governmental regulation and permitting, royalties, contract compliance, construction agreements, feasibility studies, force majeure declarations, price redeterminations, corporate matters and joint ventures, mining acquisitions, divestitures and litigation involving mining projects.
Oil & Gas
BHGR attorneys have successfully advised clients in various legal matters involving the development of oil and natural gas in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Texas. Our oil and gas practice covers all aspects involved in the acquisition, development, and leasing of oil and gas properties. In addition, our attorneys have helped government entities promulgate and defend oil and gas regulations and have assisted surface owners with proposed development by others. Specifically, our practice includes:
- Negotiating and drafting joint operating agreements, surface use agreements, lease agreements, and asset or stock purchase agreements
- Assisting oil and gas companies in raising capital to acquire properties and finance operations
- Dispute resolution, including litigation, involving breach of contract, environmental and land damage claims, and other tort claims
- Assisting clients in evaluating exploration and production opportunities and assessing related environmental issues
- Assisting local governments in promulgating and defending oil and gas regulations and assessing proposed wells
- Representing surface owners with proposed mineral development by others
- Environmental compliance
- Represented multi-national oil and gas company in the acquisition, operation, and financing of oil and gas properties in Hemberg, Germany
- Represented County in oil leasehold valuation case. See Washington County Bd. Of Equalization v. Petron Development Co., 106 P.3d 146 (Colo. 2005)
- Represented local government in defending mining regulation in preemption case. See Colorado Mining Association v. Board of County Commissioners of Summit County, 170 P.3d 749 (Colo. Ct. App. 2007)